Thursday, January 05, 2006

My Actual Reading List

Okay, I know that this blog is titled "Read Like You Mean It," and I do, I really do. I just don't write down what I've read like I mean it.

What I mean is, brace yourselves...my reading list is out of date. I have reasons (excuses) for this. For example, my Template Goddess was gone for a LONG period of time (which she duly explained when she got back). But while she was gone, how could I justify making changes to my template? What if I deep fried the whole thing? And the one person in the entire world who would completely understand and fix it wasn't there to do it? Come on people! What do you want? Hari-kari?

Back to my semi-logical point. My reading list is out of date. Yes, my books of booky past are still safely ensconced in the booky past. But the present and future books are whacked. Hah! Like The Sopranos!

The Bible is still there. That will be in the currently reading section most likely for the rest of my life. Right now I am also reading The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. I have been going along thinking that I have read all 5 of The Chronicles of Narnia until recently. When I discovered that there are 7. And that I really only read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. Sigh. No need to comment on exactly how pitiful that is.

I started to read A Million Little Pieces. Couldn't take it. Ugh! It is so gritty and raw and depressing, which are things that I can handle. What I can't handle is that the stuff that he is writing about really happened to him! I think I got to something like page 65, dog-eared my spot and handed it over to my mom.

I finished The Dogs of Babel and The Lovely Bones. The Dogs of Babel has some good writing, and the backstory is interesting, but the overall premise is stupid. The Lovely Bones is gritty, raw, and depressing, but not true. It is also well written, and I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would.

As for future books, I have too many to enumerate here. My mom gave me a whole stack on Christmas Eve which I should finish about the same time next year. Hah! Only kidding mom, you can let that breath out that you were holding and unclench your fists.

And someday I will update my sidebar. That is one of my New Year's resolutions. (I know, you can totally tell I am making them up as I go along.)

Listening

b.o.b.:b.o.b. presents the adventures of bobby ray
Containing this year's summer song: nothin' but you.

gorillaz:plastic beach
It's gorillaz. Need I say more?

Reading

Books of Booky Past: these are books that I have recently (or not so recently) read, and recommend.

the plain truth: jodi picoult
This book provided a wealth of information about the Amish community. It was wonderful.

the time traveler's wife: audrey niffenegger (sp?)
This book is like the movie Serendipity. Wow! the first time around, still pretty great for consequent readings.

Present Booky Books: do I really need to explain what this is?

dragon haven: robin hobb
Yeah, it's fantasy. So is Edward Cullen.



Books of the Future: Oooooo!

undecided



Viewing

TELEVISION
glee!
Every guilty pleasure song brought back to you! (Plus dancing!)

so you think you can dance
Nah nah nah nah so you think you can dance dance dance dance. Put me on the hot tamale train!

the office
Ah Steve Carrell.

MOVIES
10 things i hate about you
I love this movie. Plus, what's not to like about Julia Stiles?

clueless
Classic.

mean girls
Okay, I know, I know. Lindsay Lohan is a skank. But she wasn't when this movie came out. At least not in public.

drop dead gorgeous
This movie is absolutely hysterical.