Thursday, January 05, 2006

My Actual Reading List, Part Deux

Okay Dad, this post is for you. I read your comment about starting on The Lovely Bones next.

Here are some books that I think you should consume before The Lovely Bones.

These are books that I remember, even though I read them long ago. You might call them life-altering books, like My Sister's Keeper. Or if not life-altering, at least good enough to give you a good cry.

1. She's Come Undone, Wally Lamb. This book, as I remember it is okay, but probably coming up on the second read list for me. I read it a long time ago, but I recall that it is very compelling.

2. I Know This Much is True, Wally Lamb. Freakin' go out and get this book right now. By far one of my favorite books ever.

3. White Oleander, Janet Fitch. If you liked the movie, you will love this book. Gripping, gritty, raw, wonderful. I am generally dismayed by the lackadaisacal attitude that most people have about reading. One of the highest praises that I can give to this book is: I was actually sitting on a plane and a girl was walking down the aisle and stopped when she saw the cover of this book. She actually told me that this was an amazing book. I recall that I got several other comments from complete strangers about this book while I was reading it. I have been on many many plane rides, and I always have a book. ALWAYS! And that had never happened to me before, nor has it happened since. GO READ THIS BOOK!

Cause, The Lovely Bones is good, but these books are great.

Nuff said.

Listening

b.o.b.:b.o.b. presents the adventures of bobby ray
Containing this year's summer song: nothin' but you.

gorillaz:plastic beach
It's gorillaz. Need I say more?

Reading

Books of Booky Past: these are books that I have recently (or not so recently) read, and recommend.

the plain truth: jodi picoult
This book provided a wealth of information about the Amish community. It was wonderful.

the time traveler's wife: audrey niffenegger (sp?)
This book is like the movie Serendipity. Wow! the first time around, still pretty great for consequent readings.

Present Booky Books: do I really need to explain what this is?

dragon haven: robin hobb
Yeah, it's fantasy. So is Edward Cullen.



Books of the Future: Oooooo!

undecided



Viewing

TELEVISION
glee!
Every guilty pleasure song brought back to you! (Plus dancing!)

so you think you can dance
Nah nah nah nah so you think you can dance dance dance dance. Put me on the hot tamale train!

the office
Ah Steve Carrell.

MOVIES
10 things i hate about you
I love this movie. Plus, what's not to like about Julia Stiles?

clueless
Classic.

mean girls
Okay, I know, I know. Lindsay Lohan is a skank. But she wasn't when this movie came out. At least not in public.

drop dead gorgeous
This movie is absolutely hysterical.