Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Who Wants Baby Corn?

I am now eating my salad from the salad bar at the grocery store. It is fabulous. The ingredients for my salad are thus:
Non-nutritive lettuce.
Non-non-fat ranch dressing. (Fully leaded for those confused by the double negative, like me.)
Hard boiled egg pieces.
Those chinese noodle-y things. I forget what they are called.
Sunflower seeds.
Pine nuts. (I think. They taste good anyway.)
Ham.
Turkey.
Bacon bits.
Shredded cheese.
Chick peas.

And then, in side compartments, I have 2 hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, and four baby corns. (Four pieces of baby corn?)

I remember my first experience with baby corn quite clearly. It happened when I was in elementary school. I love my elementary school quirks. We had a Thanksgiving feast in class, and everyone was supposed to bring in a Thanksgiving dish. One kid brought in baby corn. I remember looking at it and falling in love with it. It was so cute! I also remember my initial confusion over how to eat the stuff. Once I figured that out, I had to get over the weird taste of it. Even though I didn't particularly enjoy the taste of it, I made up my mind to love it. Because it was so cute! And so, to this day, I eat baby corn every once in a while. And while I still don't particularly enjoy the taste, I eat it because it is so cute!

(And because it wards off scurvy.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Mair said...

don't worry...i figured the stage version of Rent must be better. I think part of the problem was the acting would be great on stage, but was just too much on the screen. Plus, I think the issues are out of date, which makes it a little obnoxious. Finally, I got really sick of the rocker guy's songs. But, that's not to say that the stage production isn't really great. Oh - also, what was with the cheesy blue screen backgrounds of sante fe????

2:21 PM  
Blogger Mair said...

that's funny, Don. My husband always makes fun of me about that. If I say something is cute he says, "Why? Because it's small?" And I say, "Yes." :o)

11:23 AM  
Blogger Mair said...

the other day, there were baby corns in my lean cuisine lunch (lemongrass chicken, which I highly recommend.) I thought of you, even though I technically don't even know you. Isn't that nice?

Also, I've noticed that you and I are both slackers when it comes to updating our blogs as of late. I guess that just means we are busy.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

< < Return to the homepage

Listening

b.o.b.:b.o.b. presents the adventures of bobby ray
Containing this year's summer song: nothin' but you.

gorillaz:plastic beach
It's gorillaz. Need I say more?

Reading

Books of Booky Past: these are books that I have recently (or not so recently) read, and recommend.

the plain truth: jodi picoult
This book provided a wealth of information about the Amish community. It was wonderful.

the time traveler's wife: audrey niffenegger (sp?)
This book is like the movie Serendipity. Wow! the first time around, still pretty great for consequent readings.

Present Booky Books: do I really need to explain what this is?

dragon haven: robin hobb
Yeah, it's fantasy. So is Edward Cullen.



Books of the Future: Oooooo!

undecided



Viewing

TELEVISION
glee!
Every guilty pleasure song brought back to you! (Plus dancing!)

so you think you can dance
Nah nah nah nah so you think you can dance dance dance dance. Put me on the hot tamale train!

the office
Ah Steve Carrell.

MOVIES
10 things i hate about you
I love this movie. Plus, what's not to like about Julia Stiles?

clueless
Classic.

mean girls
Okay, I know, I know. Lindsay Lohan is a skank. But she wasn't when this movie came out. At least not in public.

drop dead gorgeous
This movie is absolutely hysterical.