Thursday, January 19, 2006

Lip Review '06

I already told you about my search for the perfect lipstick. Now I am going to take you on a little tour of products that I have used during my search. Just to let you know: this is an abbreviated tour because I could not find all of the crap that I have used.

Also, some of these products perform color function. Other products are simply used to keep my lips healthy! Ready?

This is gonna be fun, with all the clicking and such! Yay!

ChapStick
First on my list has to be dedicated to good old ChapStick. ChapStick has been in my life for a very long time. I tend to buy it in bulk, because if I get close to using up a tube I hyperventilate unless I know I have one on standby. I also have favorite flavors (?): strawberry and cherry. I will probably always use ChapStick. Who doesn't?
Grade: A+. It has never let me down.

Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm
I had actually been very curious about Burt's Bees, but had never actually purchased any. I received a tube of this for Christmas. The giver of said tube raved about it. But I find that it is just a little too gunky for me. It does give you a nice cooling effect when you put it on, but once it has been on for a while it gums up. I hate that!
Grade: C. (Don't worry, there are some F's coming.)

Neutrogena MoistureShine Tinted Lip Balm
The color that I tried is Clean 20. S'alright, but I'm not really feeling it. I was hoping for more of a ChapStick consistency with color. In fact, that is the criterion of the perfect lip product. *sigh* I noticed that this particular product is really slick. After a while it dried a bit, but then I noticed that my lips were pilling. Yes, that's right, pilling. You know how some of your sweaters get the little balls on them after you wash them? Those are called pills. Same thing happens to your lips with the wrong product. Sad but true.
Grade: B-. Props for putting color in a ChapStick-like tube. Boos for pilling.

Clinique
This is actually a two-fer. I tried Clinique Gel Blush in Black Honey for color. I was told that it was actually a stain that could be used on lips. I was all about stain, because then I could just put on my ChapStick all day, but have a layer of color underneath. But because I am me, I decided to buy some Clinique Glosswear for Lips Sheer Shimmers to go along with the stain. I got Shimmer White. (Why buy one product when you could buy two? Or eight?)
Grade: D for the Clinique Gel Blush. It dried my lips out so much that they rivaled the desert. D for the Clinique Glosswear. It was gummy! It also gave me trout mouth. Ick ick ick.

I just realized that this is going to be the longest post ever, unless I break it into parts. So for this part, I will only go through the items that I carry in my purse. Yes, all of the items mentioned above currently reside in my purse. All of the items I mention below currently reside in my purse. I am psycho. You should have realized that by now. If you have not, I firmly recommend that you realize it soon and move on.

Bath & Body Works lip balm
Okay, that's hilarious. I tried to find this product on their website, but they don't seem to list it. Apparently they are not too proud of it. I got the vanilla sugar flavor. And that is about all it is: flavor. Not a very substantial lip balm at all. Perfect for little kiddos, except for the whole "contact Poison Control if they eat it" warning on the label.
Grade: F. Plus, when I bought it the salesgirl was a real snot. So really, F-.

LipFusion
This is a plumping product. Just so you know, I am not convinced that you can plump your lips without getting colagen injections. But, what is fun about lip plumpers is that your lips go completely numb. Which convinces you that this stuff must be doing something. I have LipFusion in the clear kind, and I also bought the set of colored minis. It is hard to go wrong with any of the colors because they go on so lightly. They also last for quite a while, so you don't have to re-apply that much. The drawback to these babies is lip dry-ness. Very very dry! I was told to use shea butter on my lips at night to help restore the moisture.
Grade: B. Love the color and longevity, hate the dry-ness.

Dior Addict Lip Fluid

Not to be confused with Dior Addict Plastic Gloss or Ultra Gloss! I tried those others on too, but they were super sticky/gummy. The Lip Fluid is wonderful! I got it in Soft Nature (455), which is not my favorite color, but it is good enough. The texture is just right, it stays on for a long time, and I don't have to worry about lip-funkiness. No pilling, drying, balling. NOTHING! I love it!
Grade: A+. Almost perfect!

And that concludes the first part of Lip Review '06. I now have a headache. Partly because it took me forever to get this post up. Also partly from thinking about how much money I have invested (wasted) on lip crap. And if I ever have the courage to post the 2nd part, I have a feeling my headache will be upgraded to a migraine. Oh boy.

Listening

b.o.b.:b.o.b. presents the adventures of bobby ray
Containing this year's summer song: nothin' but you.

gorillaz:plastic beach
It's gorillaz. Need I say more?

Reading

Books of Booky Past: these are books that I have recently (or not so recently) read, and recommend.

the plain truth: jodi picoult
This book provided a wealth of information about the Amish community. It was wonderful.

the time traveler's wife: audrey niffenegger (sp?)
This book is like the movie Serendipity. Wow! the first time around, still pretty great for consequent readings.

Present Booky Books: do I really need to explain what this is?

dragon haven: robin hobb
Yeah, it's fantasy. So is Edward Cullen.



Books of the Future: Oooooo!

undecided



Viewing

TELEVISION
glee!
Every guilty pleasure song brought back to you! (Plus dancing!)

so you think you can dance
Nah nah nah nah so you think you can dance dance dance dance. Put me on the hot tamale train!

the office
Ah Steve Carrell.

MOVIES
10 things i hate about you
I love this movie. Plus, what's not to like about Julia Stiles?

clueless
Classic.

mean girls
Okay, I know, I know. Lindsay Lohan is a skank. But she wasn't when this movie came out. At least not in public.

drop dead gorgeous
This movie is absolutely hysterical.