Tuesday, November 22, 2005

'Tis The Season!

To deck the floors?

Well, that's what hubby and I think, anyway. We decided that our Christmas present to each other is going to be brand spanking new laminate flooring in our living room! Yippee!

Okay, now I know that I could just post a picture of our current living room floor to describe the situation, but I am way too embarrassed. Words will have to suffice. We currently have carpet that was installed when the house was built. Clearly this is no top of the line carpet, because it is VERY stain susceptible, not resistant. I have tried everything that I know to keep the stupid carpet clean, to no avail.

Plus, I have hubby. One time he dragged a dog kennel across the carpet instead of proving what a big strong man he is by carrying it. I wasn't home when he did it, so why bother trying to impress? As a result we have several black trails across our beige colored carpet. Nice.

Also, we must not forget those animals! The cats haven't really done much to it, but Zoe is a completely different story. She enjoys taking her aggressions out on the carpet, among other things. When I came back home from South Africa last year, she was proud to show me the new additions, (or should I say subtractions?) she made to the carpet. We now have several places where she chewed past the padding, showing bare concrete. These are just a few examples of how atrocious the carpet is.

We have tried strategically placing furniture over the embarrassing spots of the carpet, but we have now come to the point where we have more spots to cover than coverings. And we have been at this point for a long time.

So anyway, dear readers, I just want to share my overwhelming joy with you in this development. Tomorrow we are going floor shopping, and I have a feeling that that is where the joy will end. You know how sometimes the thought of getting something is actually better than getting it? I'm afraid that this is going to be the case here. So, for just this moment, I want to soak in the anticipation, the excitement, and the currently high levels of love I have for hubby.

For tomorrow we die. Or go shopping for flooring, which we plan on installing ourselves. Okay, must not dwell on that part. So, if anyone needs to know how to pray for us, this would be a good place to start.

I have a list of specific prayer requests:
1. Pray that we do not kill each other at the store. (I will want the more expensive flooring, he will want the cheapest flooring possible. In fact, if he thought he could get away with it, he would suggest that we lay down some cardboard and call it a day.)
2. Pray that I do not javelin any of the strips of flooring at his head. (Don't want bloodstains on our nice new flooring, do we?)
3. Pray that we are still speaking to each other by Christmas. (I know, this is a lot to ask.)
4. Pray that I do not try to show him up as the better handy man. (Sometimes I am!)
5. Pray that by the time we are done, the finished product actually resembles some kind of floor.
6. Just pray!

Oh, and for those of you confused about us receiving Christmas presents before Christmas: We can never actually wait for Christmas. We get way too excited about it, and act like little kids and exchange presents early. One year we actually gave presents to each other on November 1. So we were lucky to hold out this long!

Listening

b.o.b.:b.o.b. presents the adventures of bobby ray
Containing this year's summer song: nothin' but you.

gorillaz:plastic beach
It's gorillaz. Need I say more?

Reading

Books of Booky Past: these are books that I have recently (or not so recently) read, and recommend.

the plain truth: jodi picoult
This book provided a wealth of information about the Amish community. It was wonderful.

the time traveler's wife: audrey niffenegger (sp?)
This book is like the movie Serendipity. Wow! the first time around, still pretty great for consequent readings.

Present Booky Books: do I really need to explain what this is?

dragon haven: robin hobb
Yeah, it's fantasy. So is Edward Cullen.



Books of the Future: Oooooo!

undecided



Viewing

TELEVISION
glee!
Every guilty pleasure song brought back to you! (Plus dancing!)

so you think you can dance
Nah nah nah nah so you think you can dance dance dance dance. Put me on the hot tamale train!

the office
Ah Steve Carrell.

MOVIES
10 things i hate about you
I love this movie. Plus, what's not to like about Julia Stiles?

clueless
Classic.

mean girls
Okay, I know, I know. Lindsay Lohan is a skank. But she wasn't when this movie came out. At least not in public.

drop dead gorgeous
This movie is absolutely hysterical.