Monday, May 02, 2005

I am a GIRL!!!!!!!

GRRRRRR. This weekend my femininity came into question. And I let some people get the best of me that shouldn't have been able to.

Okay, so my dad and I are at O'hare, and we are waiting for the flight that is going to take us to a conference that we were attending. We had a couple of hours to kill before the plane left, so I decided to go wander around the airport. I happened to wander into Brookstone to see what kind of cool gadgets they had. I love Brookstone, because they have all of the furnishings that I would need if I didn't live in the real world. You know what I am talking about, right? Like the portable air ionizer that you can wear on a lariat around your neck. Just so you don't have to breathe the same air that everybody else does. Or the clock whose digital display scrolls across a clear glass globe. I'm not sure that there is anything that man can create that would make me happy to see my life ticking away. I don't care how fancy the readout is.

So anyway, I was wandering around, and this Brookstone girl comes up to me and says: "Is there anything that I can help you find, SIR?" Thinking about this question now, I should have said "Yes, the exit." But of course I didn't think of that at the time, I just got embarrassed and basically ran out of the store. Oh, but she did correct herself. Just so you know it did register with her that I was actually of the female persuasion. And to her benefit, she did look pretty embarrassed about it. But still.

Then, at the conference, one of the people came up and asked if I was my father's son. SON. Now, one episode of this happening is not a big deal, right? But two, in one weekend? That is definitely a blow to the self-esteem. And here's the thing about me, I am not a Pat from SNL. Most of the time people do not have any problem discerning my gender. But, if for some reason there is an issue of deciding which side of that line I fall on, I try to make it easy for them to guess. For example: I carry a PINK purse. I usually wear bright colors. I have lots of pretty jewelry that I put on display. Oh, and I walk like a girl and talk like a girl. Maybe I need to wear a sign. "AM A GIRL."

Phew. I don't know. People are just crazy I guess.

1 Comments:

Blogger E.A.P said...

*ahem* I almost started this comment, as is my wont, with "dude." HOW SUBCONSCIOUSLY CRUEL AM I?!?!?

You are a totally hot girl and I have NO IDEA why these people are so dumb. You're even, what I might term, a girly-girl. sheesh! And twice in one weekend is seriously bad luck. I would avoid mirrors and any black cats in your menagerie (you don't have any, right?)

Wow, that stinks. If it helps, people at our conference kept asking us if we were JW's daughters. Like the only reason we could get hired for positions of relative responsibility is because we're related. Makes you feel like you're 12 or something.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

< < Return to the homepage

Listening

b.o.b.:b.o.b. presents the adventures of bobby ray
Containing this year's summer song: nothin' but you.

gorillaz:plastic beach
It's gorillaz. Need I say more?

Reading

Books of Booky Past: these are books that I have recently (or not so recently) read, and recommend.

the plain truth: jodi picoult
This book provided a wealth of information about the Amish community. It was wonderful.

the time traveler's wife: audrey niffenegger (sp?)
This book is like the movie Serendipity. Wow! the first time around, still pretty great for consequent readings.

Present Booky Books: do I really need to explain what this is?

dragon haven: robin hobb
Yeah, it's fantasy. So is Edward Cullen.



Books of the Future: Oooooo!

undecided



Viewing

TELEVISION
glee!
Every guilty pleasure song brought back to you! (Plus dancing!)

so you think you can dance
Nah nah nah nah so you think you can dance dance dance dance. Put me on the hot tamale train!

the office
Ah Steve Carrell.

MOVIES
10 things i hate about you
I love this movie. Plus, what's not to like about Julia Stiles?

clueless
Classic.

mean girls
Okay, I know, I know. Lindsay Lohan is a skank. But she wasn't when this movie came out. At least not in public.

drop dead gorgeous
This movie is absolutely hysterical.